Snowmobilers Reminded to Register Their Machines

snowmobileAs snow continues to fall in much of New Mexico, the Department of Game and Fish is reminding snowmobile operators to observe safety requirements and register their snowmobiles before using them on public lands.

The New Mexico Off-Highway Vehicle Act of 2005 and subsequent legislation in 2009 was designed to protect the safety of off-highway vehicle users and ensure responsible use of off-highway vehicles on public lands.

Under the OHV Act, registration is required for all snowmobiles before they are used on any public lands in New Mexico. Snowmobiles used exclusively on private land are exempt from registration requirements. Here is what you need to know:

  • New Mexico residents must have their off-highway vehicles registered with the state Motor Vehicle Division to legally operate them on public lands. Registration is $50 every two years ($53 for initial registration and $50 thereafter).
  • Nonresidents whose off-highway vehicles are not registered in their state must obtain a permit to legally operate on public lands in New Mexico. Permits cost $48 for two years or $18 for 90 days. They are available at, any Department of Game and Fish office, or by calling 505-222-4727.

For more information about New Mexico’s Off-Highway Vehicle Act, please visit, or contact the Off-Highway Vehicle Program directly at 505-222-4727.