Snowplows and trucks that apply salt and cinder to icy roads are loaded and ready. Crews will work around the clock to clear roads and assist where needed.
“The Department of Transportation is prepared for the storm and asks all motorists to be safe,” said NMDOT Deputy Secretary of Highway Operations Anthony Lujan.
The NMDOT’s Traffic Management Center is also staffed to update the Department’s www.nmroads.com website and 511 road conditions hotline.
Winter Driving Safety Tips
• Reduce speed. Speed limits are based on normal road and weather conditions, not winter road
• Maintain at least three times the normal following distance on snow or ice
• Watch carefully for snow removal equipment and stay at least 200 feet back if you are behind a snow plow
• Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses and shaded areas as they tend to freeze first
• If you start to slide, ease off the gas pedal or brakes. Steer into the direction of the skid until you feel you have regained traction then straighten your vehicle