Fishing Season’s Here!

Don’t Forget Your New License

The weather’s great, the streams are clear and the lakes are free of ice – just in time for this weekend’s unofficial opening of fishing season in New Mexico. Anglers are reminded to purchase a new fishing license before hitting the waters Sunday, April 1, the start of the 2012-13 license year.

Licenses are available now at more than 170 vendors statewide and at Department of Game and Fish offices in Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Raton, Roswell and Las Cruces. Popular season resident licenses cost $25 for adults, $5 for youths ages 12-17, and $8 for seniors ages 65-69. Anglers ages 70 and older can acquire a free license at Department offices. Combination hunting and fishing, and discounted licenses for disabled and military anglers also are available.

Licenses also are available on the Department website,

Some fishing hot spots, according to the most current fishing reports:

• Eagle Nest Lake: The banks are clear of ice, which usually means great fishing for trout and perch on Power Bair, worms and salmon eggs. Some northern pike have been caught on various lures, and anglers are reminded that they are encouraged to catch and keep all the pike they want.

• Storrie Lake: Trout fishing has been very good with salmon peach Power Bait and salmon eggs. Several anglers have reported catching their limits.

• Fenton Lake: Much of the ice has cleared around the bank and trout fishing has been very good for anglers using yellow Power Bait and corn.

• Bonito Lake: Expect a crowd for Sunday’s season opening, but also expect the trout fishing to be hot. Try worms, Power Bait and salmon eggs.

Spring turkey hunters can purchase their licenses at vendors or online in preparation for the April 15 season opening. Beginning this year, resident hunters are required to purchase a $15 Game-hunting or $30 Game-hunting and Fishing license before purchasing a $25 turkey license.

More information about New Mexico’s 2012-13 fishing season is available in the Fishing Rules & Information Booklet, which can be found at license vendors statewide, Department offices and online at