Lincoln National Forest Christmas Tree Permits
Alamogordo, NM (October 26, 2011) – Are you one of the many visitors to the Lincoln National Forest that enjoys spending a beautiful day in the forest searching for the perfect Christmas tree? The Lincoln National Forest welcomes everyone to participate in the Christmas tree program and experience one of the many treasures your national forest has to offer.
Lincoln National Forest Christmas tree permits will be available beginning November 1st at a cost of $5 each. This year Christmas tree permits on the Lincoln National Forest may only be purchased at Forest Service offices or by mail, and are available at all Lincoln National Forest Service offices from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, through December 23rd. Applications for permits may be filled out for purchase through the mail until December11th. Mail-in applications are available online at: www.fs.usda.gov/lincoln.
The Sacramento Ranger District office will be open to sell Christmas tree permits from 9:00 – 2:30 on Saturday November 19th, and Saturday, December 10th. The Smokey Bear Ranger District will also sell Christmas tree permits from 7:30 to 4:30 on Saturday November 26th and Saturday December 10th.
Mail-in applications are also available at the following locations:
- All Lincoln National Forest Offices - Alamogordo, Carlsbad, Cloudcroft, and Ruidoso
- Chamber of Commerce Offices – Alamogordo, Cloudcroft, Ruidoso Carlsbad, Jal, Lovington, Lubbock, Portales, Eunice, and Roswell, Las Cruces, Hobbs, Artesia, and Clovis NM, and Odessa, Midland, Denver City, and EL Paso, TX.
- Walmart Stores – Alamogordo, Las Cruces (both locations), Carlsbad, and Ruidoso Downs (customer service departments)
- Smokey Bear Historical State Park – Capitan, NM
- Mountain Top Mercantile – Cloudcroft, NM
- Queen Store – Queen, NM
- US Post Offices – Alamogordo, Tularosa, La Luz, Carrizozo, NM, and El Paso, TX
- JC Penney Stores (catalog dept.) – Las Cruces, NM, and Victoria, Odessa, and El Paso (Gateway W & Sunland Park), TX.
- Holloman Air Force Base – Morale, Welfare and Recreation
- White Sands Missile Range – Public Affairs
- US Border Patrol – Las Cruces, NM
- NM Game and Fish - Las Cruces, NM
- Bureau of Land Management Offices – Las Cruces, NM
- Roswell Convention Center – Roswell, NM
- Outpost Gallery – Dell City, TX
- Tips Mountain Store – Carlsbad, NM
- Chamizal National Memorial - El Paso, TX
The Christmas tree permit authorizes the permit holder to cut down or dig up any live evergreen tree up to 10 feet in height, on the Smokey Bear, Sacramento, or Guadalupe Ranger Districts as designated by an issued map accompanying the permit.
It is illegal to cut a tree located: on State or private land; within designated Wilderness areas; within 300 feet of a recreation site; within 100 feet of a paved road; or at Ranger District administrative locations. Permits are for personal use only and are limited to one permit per household.
For additional information regarding Christmas tree permits or the Lincoln National Forest, please contact one of our offices between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday:
Forest Supervisor’s Office at (575) 434-7200, at 3463 Las Palomas, Alamogordo, NM 88310;
Smokey Bear Ranger District Office at (575) 257-4095, at 901 Mechem Drive, Ruidoso, NM 88310;
Sacramento Ranger District Office at (575) 682-2551, at 4 Lost Lodge Rd (physical), P.O. Box 288 (mailing), Cloudcroft, NM 88317; or the Guadalupe Ranger District Office at (575) 885-4181, 114 S. Halagueno, Carlsbad, NM 88220. You can also find us at www.fs.usda.gov/lincoln and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LincolnUSForest.